This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
These vegan sweet potato brownies are gluten free, eggless, and also easy to make! In addition, this recipe is dairy free, quick, refined sugar free, fudgy and the best!
You might be thinking why we are making this recipe with sweet potato but there is a reason. It makes it sweet and also helps to bind the ingredients.
I'm not the biggest fan of chocolate but these vegan sweet potato brownies are so delicious just like my vegan avocado brownies! If you love brownies but don't want to bake them, try my vegan no bake brownies!
Before we jump into the recipe, let's talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
How do you make gluten free and vegan sweet potato brownies
We will be using mashed sweet potato because it blends easier. I prefer to steam it before mashing instead of baking.
Since these are gluten free, we will be using almond flour (not almond meal!). This vegan brownie recipe has the best texture and is also so soft and fudgy.
For the texture and taste, we will be adding some almond butter (I wouldn't sub for peanut butter) but you'll need to make sure it's not dried up. It should be runny and fresh because if not, you won't be able to incorporate it.
Cacao powder & Dairy Free chocolate chips
Cacao powder gives a rich chocolatey flavor but you can use cocoa powder instead if you prefer. We will use dairy free chocolate chips for more chocolate flavor and you can also sprinkle some on top before baking it.
Coconut Oil & Vanilla Extract
We will be adding a little bit of coconut oil to these almond flour brownies. We'll also add some vanilla extract so it has a subtle vanilla flavor.
Maple Syrup & Coconut Sugar
This recipe is naturally sweetened so I chose to use a combination of maple syrup and coconut sugar. But you can also use brown sugar instead of coconut sugar if you prefer.
Baking powder & Salt
Adding salt really brings the sweetness out so I don't recommend omitting it. We'll also be using baking powder in the mixture.
How to make it step by step
- First, you will need to steam the sweet potato and then preheat the oven to 350 F and line an 8x8 baking pan or dish with parchment paper. Next, in a large bowl add the steamed sweet potato and mash really well with a fork or a potato masher.
- Now, you can add the rest of the brownie ingredients (except chocolate chips) with the mashed sweet potato and then mix with a spatula well. Try not to over mix it and then fold in the chocolate chips gently.
- Next, you can transfer the mixture to the baking pan that you lined with parchment paper and use the spatula to even it out. Try not to press it down too much, the dough will be sticky but that's ok.
- Bake it for 20 to 25 minutes until the center looks cooked through. If you want it very fudgy, I recommend checking it around the 20-minute mark. You will need to wait at least 20 to 30 minutes to cool before slicing.
Tips & Variations
- Try not to over mix the batter, it will be sticky but that's ok.
- When you transfer it to the baking pan, try not to press it down too much when evening it out.
- If you like more fudgy brownies, do not bake it as long.
- You'll need to make sure to wait for at least 20 to 30 minutes to cool before slicing and serving because it will fall apart.
How to store vegan sweet potato brownies with almond flour
You can store them in an airtight container for up to 5 to 6 days in the fridge. You can warm it up in the microwave for a few seconds or in an oven for a few minutes until warm.
These brownies come together quickly and it is very easy. It is also:
- Eggless, gluten free and dairy free
- Healthier treat
- Rich, decadent, and fudgy
- Also so delicious!
MORE dairy free and egg free sweet recipes to try
- HOW TO MAKE GRANOLA
- BANANA ICE CREAM RECIPE
- VEGAN KEY LIME PIE (GLUTEN-FREE)
- VEGAN ENERGY BALLS (NO BAKE & OIL-FREE)
- GRANOLA BARS RECIPE (NO BAKE & HEALTHY)
- HOW TO MAKE A SMOOTHIE BOWL
- STRAWBERRY SORBET
So, did you make these? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
These vegan sweet potato brownies are gluten free, eggless and easy to make! This recipe is dairy free, quick, refined sugar free, fudgy and the best!
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato (steamed and mashed)
- 1 cup almond flour (not almond meal)
- ½ cup cacao powder (sub for cocoa powder)
- ¼ cup coconut sugar (sub for brown sugar)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- ⅓ cup almond butter (runny)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup dairy free chocolate chips
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into cubes. Steam using a steamer basket for 15 to 20 minutes until soft.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line an 8×8 baking pan or dish with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the steamed sweet potato and mash really well with a fork or a potato masher.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except chocolate chips) with the mashed sweet potato in the bowl and then mix with a spatula well. Try not to over mix it. Fold in the chocolate chips gently.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking pan that you lined with parchment paper and use a spatula to even it out. Don’t press it down too much, the dough will be sticky but that’s ok.
- Bake it for 20 to 25 minutes until the center looks cooked through. If you want it very fudgy, check it around the 20-minute mark. Wait at least 20 to 30 minutes to cool before slicing and eating.
Make sure to cool it down for at least 20 minutes before slicing so it doesn't fall apart
Cook time does not include steaming the sweet potato
- Serving Size: 12
- Calories: 178
- Sugar: 8.2g
- Sodium: 60.1mg
- Fat: 9.4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 17.3g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Protein: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: dairy free sweet potato brownies, gluten free sweet potato brownies, almond flour sweet potato brownies