This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
These homemade vegan taquitos are the best because they are healthy, plant based, crispy, made with black beans, and so easy to make! In addition, they are baked, quick, gluten free and perfect as a snack or a meal!
You can use any filling such as chickpeas, sweet potatoes, or jackfruit but I like keeping it simple with black beans. This vegan taquitos recipe is perfect for gatherings or you can freeze them for meal prep!
I love Mexican food as you can tell from my jackfruit tacos, tamales, burritos, vegan buffalo cauliflower tacos and burrito bowls so this dish is another favorite. You can top them with homemade hot sauce and also dip them in avocado crema!
Before we jump into the recipe, let's talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
What is the difference between taquitos and flautas?
Flautas are often made with larger flour tortillas so they are bigger in size. But taquitos are usually made with taco size corn tortillas which makes them smaller and perfect as an appetizer.
How to make Vegan Taquitos
I think 6 inch corn tortillas work perfect for these but you can use a larger or mini size if you like. The most important part is to warm up the tortillas for easy rolling because they will fall apart if not soft.
We will use two cans of black beans for this recipe but feel free to swap for pinto beans. You can also cook dry beans in an Instant Pot if you prefer.
I like having a can of green chiles in the pantry because it makes it easy to give some flavor to Mexican dishes.
Onion and Garlic
I like using yellow onions for cooking but you can also use white. We'll also add 3 cloves of garlic for even more flavor!
Spices, oil and salt
Spices make this dish so we will be using a blend of cumin, chili powder, and smoked paprika. I like using avocado oil but you can use any type of oil for brushing before baking them.
How to Make it
- You will start by preheating the oven to 425 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Now, cook the onions using oil in a large skillet over medium heat until caramelized.
- Next, you will add the garlic, green chiles, salt and spices and saute for another minute until fragrant.
- And then you will add the black beans and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. You can add a splash of water if it's getting dry. Now, turn off the heat and use a potato masher or a fork to mash the beans but you can leave some of them whole for texture.
- It's time to assemble them so make sure the bean mixture is cooled down. Wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and then heat them in the microwave for about 30 seconds until soft. You should check and heat them in 15-second increments until you are able to fold them without breaking.
- First, place a soft tortilla on a flat surface and then add 2 to 3 tablespoons of the bean mixture in the middle of the tortilla. Now, gently roll them tight but not too tight that the mixture comes out the ends. Keep repeating until you don't have filling or tortillas left.
- Place them on the baking sheet, seam down and next to each other. Brush them with oil so they get crispy, bake them for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
Tips & Variations
- You can easily change up the filling and use pinto beans, chickpeas or jackfruit. You can also make the filling ahead of time!
- Add vegan cheese in the filling for a cheesy flavor!
- You can also use an air fryer to bake them for even crispier vegetarian taquitos!
- If you want to make it spicier, you can add cayenne pepper.
- You can add other veggies in the filling such as mushrooms or mashed sweet potato.
- Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed!
Topping ideas for baked vegan Taquitos
- You can dip in avocado crema or serve with guacamole
- Serve with homemade hot sauce and vegan sour cream
- Drizzle homemade vegan cheese sauce on top and add jalapeno slices
- Pair with homemade salsa!
How to store, freeze and reheat vegan taquitos
- Storing in the fridge: You can store the leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 to 4 days.
- Freezing: Even though it's best to eat them fresh, you can also freeze these baked vegan taquitos by placing them in a single layer in a ziplock bag after they are completely cool. Freeze them for up to 1 month but keep in mind that they won't be as crispy.
- Reheating: Thaw frozen taquitos first and reheat them at 400 F until warm.
This baked vegan taquito recipe comes together so fast and it is very easy and uses pantry staples. It is also:
- Gluten free & crispy
- Perfect as an appetizer, side dish or a main dish
- Flavorful & budget-friendly
- Also so delicious!
More Plant based appetizers to try
- CHILI FRIES
- AVOCADO POTATO SALAD
- FRENCH ONION DIP
- VEGAN CRAB CAKES
- CAESAR SALAD
- BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER WINGS
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
These homemade vegan taquitos are healthy, plant based, crispy, made with black beans, and so easy to make! They are baked, quick, gluten free and perfect as a snack or a meal!
- 1 tbsp avocado oil and more for brushing (sub for olive oil)
- 2 (15 ounces) canned black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (4 ounces) canned diced green chiles (drained)
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- 18 to 24 taco sized corn tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 425 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil, when oil is hot, add the onion and cook until soft for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, green chiles, salt and spices and saute for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the black beans and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. You can add a splash of water if it's getting dry. Turn off the heat and use a potato masher or a fork to mash the beans. Leave some of them whole for texture.
- Make sure the bean mixture is cooled down. Wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and heat them in the microwave for about 30 seconds until soft. Check and heat them in 15-second increments until you are able to fold them without breaking.
- Place a soft tortilla on a flat surface and then add 2 to 3 tablespoons of the bean mixture in the middle of the tortilla. Gently roll them tight but not too tight that the mixture comes out the ends. Keep repeating until you don't have filling or tortillas left.
- Place the taquitos on the baking sheet, seam down and next to each other. Brush them with oil and bake them for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
Change up the filling and use pinto beans, chickpeas or jackfruit. Make the filling ahead of time if needed!
Add vegan cheese in the filling and make it spicier by adding cayenne pepper.
Use an air fryer to bake them for a crispier result.
Add other veggies in the filling such as mushrooms or mashed sweet potato.
Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed!
- Serving Size: 18-24
- Calories: 107
- Sugar: 0.7g
- Sodium: 240.3mg
- Fat: 1.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 19.7g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Protein: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegetarian taquitos, baked taquitos, black bean taquitos, rolled taquitos