This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This homemade vegan thousand island dressing recipe is so easy to make and also perfect for spreading on sandwiches, dipping roasted potatoes, vegan potato cakes, vegan corn fritters or crab cakes! In addition, this vegan thousand island is gluten free, creamy, quick to make, and is the best!
This dairy free and egg free recipe is made with homemade vegan aquafaba mayo just like my garlic aioli, vegan chipotle mayo, vegan honey mustard or sriracha mayo recipes! If you don't want to make your own vegan mayo, you can use store-bought as well.
Before we jump into the recipe, let's talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
Is thousand island dressing vegan?
Since mayonnaise is made from eggs, traditional thousand island dressing is not vegan friendly. We will be using vegan mayo so it will be egg free! I like using it as a dressing and also as a dip!
How to make Vegan Thousand Island Dressing
I make homemade mayo from aquafaba (chickpea liquid) so that's what I use. You can also buy vegan mayonnaise at the store.
Some brands may not contain a lot of sugar so make sure to get more natural ketcup. You can also add more or less depending on your preference.
Garlic powder & onion powder
I like using garlic and onion powder because raw garlic and onion can be overpowering. You can also adjust the measurement to your liking!
Lemon Juice & Brown Mustard (sub for Dijon mustard)
Freshly squeezed lemon juice gives this sauce a tangy flavor so I don't recommend omitting it. I also like adding brown mustard but you can use dijon if you want.
Maple Syrup & Dill Pickle
We will balance out the flavors using maple syrup. Many thousand island recipes call for sweet pickle relish but I prefer using just chopped pickle.
Smoked Paprika & Salt
You should just start with a pinch of salt and then adjust to taste if you are sensitive to salt. My favorite seasoning is smoked paprika because it's so flavorful!
How to make it
- All you have to do is to add all the ingredients in a bowl and then mix it well. But always adjust to taste and make adjustments if needed! You can serve it right away or place it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Tips & Variations
- You can add more garlic or onion powder if you want stronger flavors.
- Also, place it in the fridge for 30 minutes for flavors to develop.
- Always adjust to taste and then add salt if needed!
How to serve vegan thousand island dressing
- Add it to salads
- Dip fishless crab cakes or potato cakes
- Spread it on black bean quinoa burger, white bean burger or sweet potato sushi roll
- Dip roasted potatoes or roasted sweet potatoes
- Also, add it to sandwiches, BBQ Jackfruit pizza or wraps
How to store it
You can store it in the fridge, covered, for up to 5 days.
This homemade vegan thousand island comes together in less than 5 minutes and also it is very easy. It is also:
- Gluten free
- Perfect for many plant based dishes
- Versatile as a dressing or a dip
- Also so delicious!
More plant based sauces & dips to try
- TARTAR SAUCE
- WHITE BEAN DIP
- CAESAR DRESSING
- RANCH DRESSING
- THAI PEANUT SAUCE
- FRENCH ONION DIP
- VEGAN BBQ SAUCE
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This homemade vegan thousand island dressing recipe is so easy to make and perfect for spreading on sandwiches, dipping roasted potatoes, vegan potato cakes or crab cakes! It's gluten free, creamy, quick to make and is the best!
- ½ cup homemade vegan mayo (sub for store-bought)
- 1 tbsp and 1 tsp ketchup
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp pickle (chopped)
- 1 tsp brown mustard (sub for dijon)
- ¼ tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- ½ tsp maple syrup
- Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix it well. Adjust to taste and make the adjustment if needed.
- Serve it right away or place it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Add more garlic or onion powder if you want stronger flavors.
Always adjust to taste and add salt if needed!
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 119
- Sugar: 4.4g
- Sodium: 391.1mg
- Fat: 9.6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 6.4g
- Fiber: .5g
- Protein: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: homemade thousand island dressing, vegan thousand island, egg free thousand island