This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This creamy vegan white bean soup recipe is plant based, healthy, flavorful and so easy to make. In addition, it's gluten free, dairy free, perfect for meal prep, and weeknight dinners.
I love homemade soups because they are filling, satisfying, and also an easy way to eat veggies. I am a big fan of white beans as you can tell from my vegan white bean chili, white bean salad, vegan white bean burger, white bean dip and white bean kale salad recipes.
If you love creamy soups like this, you should also try my vegan mushroom soup, broccoli potato soup, vegan carrot ginger soup, lemon rice soup, vegan cauliflower soup and vegan potato corn chowder. They are perfect for weeknight dinners and meal prep.
Before we jump into the recipe, let's talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
How to make Vegan White Bean Soup
You can really use any kind you want so feel free to use cannellini, navy, or butter beans. Make sure to rinse and drain the beans well before adding them into the pot.
Carrots & Celery
I usually don't peel the carrots but you can if you like. Chopping the carrots and celery very small will help with quick cooking so keep that in mind.
Coconut Milk & Nutritional Yeast (optional)
We will be using full fat coconut milk because it makes it so creamy. I also like adding nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor but you can omit it.
Onion & Garlic
I like using yellow onions because I find they caramelize better. Adding lots of garlic also gives this dish so much flavor.
Water or Broth
For liquid I usually use water but you can use vegetable broth if you like. Make sure to add the salt accordingly because some broths can be very salty.
Fresh Thyme & Lemon Juice
Fresh herbs make all the difference when it comes to soups, so fresh thyme works great. I also like adding a little bit of lemon juice for a tangy flavor.
Oil & Salt
I like using avocado oil for my cooking but you can use coconut or olive oil. Make sure to always adjust the salt according to your preference.
How to make it
- First, we will start by sautéing onions in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat until soft for a few minutes. And then add the carrots and celery and cook for a few more minutes.
- Now, you can add the garlic and white beans, cook for another minute. Add the water/broth, coconut milk, fresh thyme, salt, nutritional yeast and turn the heat up to boil, and then simmer, covered for 20 to 25 minutes until carrots are soft.
- After it's cooked, add the lemon juice to the pot and then stir well. That's it!
Tips & Variations
- If the soup is too thick, you can add more water or broth.
- If it's too watery, cook it a little bit longer.
- You can add potatoes to make it even more filling!
- If you cut the carrots smaller, they will cook faster.
- Always adjust to taste! Add more salt if needed.
How to store vegan white bean soup leftovers
When stored properly, vegan white bean soup will last 4 to 5 days so just place it in an air-tight container and then store it in the fridge. Leftovers might be thicker so you can add some water before reheating.
It's easy to make this delicious, filling, and satisfying vegan and vegetarian white bean soup. It is also:
- Cozy & Comforting
- Dairy free & Gluten free
- Meal prep friendly and perfect for weeknights
More plant based side dishes to try
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Buffalo Cauliflower Salad
- Vegan Thai Coconut Soup
- Buffalo Mac and Cheese
- Kale Avocado Salad
- Vegan Wild Rice Soup
- Vegan Clam Chowder
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This creamy vegan white bean soup is plant based, healthy, flavorful and so easy to make. It's gluten free, dairy free, perfect for meal prep, and weeknight dinners.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 stalk celery (chopped)
- 1 medium carrot (chopped small)
- 3 (15 oz) cans white beans (cannellini, navy or butter beans)-drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (chopped)
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth or water
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ to 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, add the oil and when the oil is hot, add the onions and cook until soft for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Now, add the garlic and white beans, cook for another minute. Add the water/broth, coconut milk, fresh thyme, salt, nutritional yeast and turn the heat up to boil, and then simmer, covered for 20 to 25 minutes until carrots are soft.
- After it's cooked, add the lemon juice to the pot and then stir well. Serve immediately or store for later.
If the soup is too thick, add more water or broth.
If it's too watery, cook it a little bit longer.
You can add potatoes to make it even more filling!
If you cut the carrots smaller, they will cook faster.
Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed.
- Serving Size: 4-6
- Calories: 406
- Sugar: 5.1g
- Sodium: 436.9mg
- Fat: 12.6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 56.3g
- Fiber: 16g
- Protein: 19.3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: white bean soup, easy white bean soup, creamy white bean soup