This homemade vegan white sauce is creamy, smooth, satisfying, quick, and so easy to make! It's dairy free, gluten free, made with cashews, simple, and perfect for pasta or pizza!
- 3/4 cup raw cashews (soaked)
- 5 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot (sub for corn starch)
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust as needed)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- freshly cracked pepper
- Add the raw cashews in a medium bowl, pour hot water to cover and soak for at least 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse and drain.
- After the cashews are soaked, add them to a high speed blender along with water, nutritional yeast, arrowroot, salt and blend until very smooth. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the oil and when oil is hot, add the garlic and saute for a minute but make sure it doesn't burn.
- Pour the cashew sauce you blended into the pan with the garlic and cook for 5 to 7 minutes while stirring until the sauce is thick.
- Add the freshly cracked pepper and serve immediately or store for later.
Make sure to use a high speed blender to make it smooth and creamy.
If the sauce is too thick, you can add more water.
You can cook the sauce until you reach the consistency you like but make sure to keep stirring.
Avoid burning the garlic because it will have a bitter taste.
Always adjust to taste and add more salt as needed!
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 101
- Sugar: 0.7g
- Sodium: 152.4mg
- Fat: 7.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 6.2g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: dairy free white sauce, vegan bechamel sauce, cashew white sauce