This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This vegan wild rice soup is simple, hearty and so easy to make. In addition, it's made with coconut milk, gluten free, dairy free and perfect for meal prep.
I love homemade soups because they are filling, satisfying, and warming. The flavors work great in this vegetarian wild rice soup just like my vegan lemon rice soup recipe.
Before we jump into the recipe, let's talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
How to make vegan wild rice soup
I used a wild rice blend but you can also just use wild rice. Keep in mind that cooking time may vary depending on the type of rice in the mix.
You can use any kind of mushrooms but I chose to use cremini mushrooms. White button mushroom would work great too!
We will be adding kale at the end of cooking because it makes it easy to incorporate some veggies. If you are not a fan of kale, you can use spinach instead.
Onion & Garlic
I like using yellow onions because I find they caramelize better. Adding lots of garlic also gives this dish so much flavor.
Water or Broth and Coconut Milk
For liquid, I usually use water but you can use vegetable broth if you like. Since this recipe is dairy free, we will add full fat coconut milk to give flavor to the broth.
Fresh Thyme, bay leaf and lemon juice
I highly recommend using fresh thyme instead of dry because it has so much more flavor. Adding lemon juice give a little tangy taste to balance out all the flavors.
Oil & Salt
I like using avocado oil for my cooking but you can use coconut or olive oil. I also like adding pink Himalayan salt but feel free to swap for regular sea salt and always adjust to taste.
How to make it
- We will start by sautéing onions in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat until soft for a few minutes. And then add the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes until soft.
- Now, you can add the rice and the garlic, cook for a minute. Then add the water/broth, coconut milk, thyme, bay leaf, and salt. Bring it to a boil and then simmer, covered, and cook for about 45 to 50 minutes until the rice is soft.
- After the soup is cooked, take out the bay leaf. Stir in the chopped kale and lemon juice into the pot. Cover and let it sit for a couple of minutes until the kale is wilted a little bit. You can serve immediately or save for later.
Tips & Variations
- Check the rice to make sure it's cooked. Different wild rice blends can cook at different times.
- If the soup is too thick, you can add more water or broth. Rice will soak up most of the broth so keep that in mind.
- You can use spinach instead of kale if you prefer.
- Always adjust to taste! Add more salt if needed.
How to store the leftovers
When stored properly, this vegan wild rice soup will last 3 to 4 days so just place it in an air-tight container and then store it in the fridge. Leftovers might be thicker so you can add some water/broth before reheating it.
It's easy to put this delicious, filling, and satisfying vegan soup on the table. It is also:
- Simple and Hearty
- Cozy & Comforting
- Dairy free & Gluten free
More plant based soups to try
- Broccoli Potato Soup
- Vegan Carrot Ginger Soup
- Vegan Cauliflower Soup
- Potato Corn Chowder
- Vegan White Bean Soup
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This vegan wild rice soup is simple, hearty and so easy to make. It's made with coconut milk, gluten free, dairy free and perfect for meal prep.
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup loosely packed kale (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups water or vegetable broth (adjust as needed)
- 1 can (13.5 oz) full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, add the oil and when the oil is hot, add the onions and cook until soft for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms into the pot and cook for another 5 minutes until the mushrooms are soft.
- Now, add the rice and the garlic, cook for 1 minute. Then add the water/broth, coconut milk, thyme, bay leaf and salt. Bring it to a boil and then simmer, cover and cook for about 45 to 50 minutes until the rice is soft.
- After the soup is cooked, take out the bay leaf. Stir in the chopped kale and lemon juice into the pot. Cover and let it sit for a couple of minutes until the kale is wilted a little bit.
- You can serve immediately or save for later.
Check the rice to make sure it's cooked. Different wild rice blends can cook at different times.
If the soup is too thick, add more water or broth. Rice will soak up most of the broth so keep that in mind.
You can use spinach instead of kale if you prefer.
Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed.
- Serving Size: 4-6
- Calories: 312
- Sugar: 3.1g
- Sodium: 596.5mg
- Fat: 16.2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 37.1g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Protein: 8.8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: wild rice soup with coconut milk, vegetarian wild rice soup, wild rice soup with mushrooms